Visa Advice

Mexico Visa Advice: Entry Requirements

You will not need a tourist visa if you are a citizen of the following countries :

USA, Great Britain, Canada, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Andorra, Argentina, Austria, Belgium, Chile, Costa Rica, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Israel, Italy, Japan, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, San Marino, Singapore, Slovenia, Spain, South Korea, Sweden, Switzerland, Uruguay or Venezuela.

Mexican flag

Citizens of the above mentioned countries will need the following documents to enter Mexico:

  • Proof of Citizenship (Valid passport, original birth certificate with a raised seal or naturalization papers). Note: If you are using your birth certificate as your proof of citizenship, also bring a current photo ID, such as a driver's license.
  • Legal proof of a name change, if the last name on the birth certificate is different from your current name. Only original documents are accepted, photocopies will not be approved.
  • Tourists must ensure they have an FMT, see the section on the Mexican Tourist Card below.
  • You will also be obliged to fill in an immigration form for tourists or business trips - forms can be obtained from travel agencies or at the point of entry.

Citizens of any other country must visit the nearest Mexican consulate to request a tourist visa.

If you are looking to come to Mexico to live and work you need to apply for a work visa - to do so from the National Immigration Institute (INM: with proof that you have a job offer in Mexico. To study in Mexico, you will need to apply for a student visa from the INM. Application requires proof of enrollment in a Mexican school as well as sufficient funds for the duration of your stay.
Please note that visa procedures can take several weeks and you may have to apply from within your country of residence or citizenship.

If you wish to find contact details for Embassies and Consulates in Mexico simply follow the link.

Mexico Visa Advice: The Mexican Tourist Card (FMT)

The Mexican Tourist Card (FMT) must be obtained by all tourists wishing to visit Mexico. It is issued by border officials, once proof of citizenship has been approved. If you are traveling to Mexico by plane, airlines usually provide you with the necessary forms that you can fill up while aboard Mexico. Be sure to take care of this permit as you will not be allowed to get out of the country if you lose it. Replacements can take from a few hours to up to a week and cost $42. It is advisable to write down your FMT number and keep it separately from the card in case of loss.
Whilst the card is officially 'free' a $20 tourist fee is payable which will be included in your airfare if arriving to Mexico by plane, or is payable at border control if arriving by land.

The FMT lasts up to 180 days (6 months) for most countries and 90 days for some. You may extend this time by requesting for an extension from an official immigration office in Mexico. This is generally a straightforward process but costs around $20.
Log into for more details or specific situations.
Our Embassies and Consulates in Mexico page has useful contact details if you have a query about your trip to Mexico.

Site Search
Enforex Oaxaca

Study Spanish in Oaxaca
Enforex Oaxaca offers you the best Spanish courses in Mexico.

- Unsubscribe

© 2007 Wistorm s.l. All Rights Reserved.