Puerto Escondido, Oaxaca means 'Hidden Port' in English and while today it is a thriving hub for beaches and culture it has retained its chilled out charm and aesthetically pleasing vistas. Head to Puerto Escondido from Oaxaca and enjoy an irresistibly perfect combination of the best things in life: good food, good people, good ambience and good fun.
Where is it?
Oaxaca's Puerto Escondido is found in the municipality of San Pedro Mixtepec, District 22. Highway 131 directly connects Oaxaca City with Puerto Escondido making it an easily reachable and convenient getaway. Just 290 km away from the city, you can get to Puerto Escondido by car, bus or aeroplane, check out our Oaxaca Travel page for more information.
What's the deal?
Oaxacas’s Puerto Escondido was founded in 1928 for its ideal position as a port which reduced the road traffic in the region. In the 60’s was town connected with the surrounding coast area by the construction of highway 200 which aided accesibility, hence furthering the town's development.
Puerto Escondido, Oaxaca has also long been a hotspot for fishing, but today it also attracts hoards of surfers, holidaymakers and hippies who are drawn to its laid back vibe and great waves. Puerto Escondido is especially famous for its beaches that keep surfers entertained year in and year out with some of the best waves in the Americas. Puerto Escondido has definitely earnt its place in the world's top 10 surfing resorts.
Besides the beaches and the stunning coastline, the town has a great range of high quality hotels and restaurants, making it a tempting place to stay a bit longer than you'd planned...
Puerto Escondido Oaxaca: Highlights
Infamous for sun, sea, sand and surf, Puerto Escondido has tons of beaches to choose from - here are the best of them:
- Playa Principal - A stunning promenade stretches from the beach to the oceanside cliffs. This beach also has the best choice of eateries and accommodations.
- Playa Marinero is the other best option for facilities - Swimming, snorkeling, body-boarding and restaurants are waiting here for visitors.
- Playa Zicatela is a long, straight beach on the east side of Puerto Escondido. Surfers' paradise, Zicatela is the place to catch some waves. Budding surfers should also head to Puerto Escondido's longest beach, Playa Bacocho.
- Playa Manzanillo and Puerto Angelito are situated northwest from the town and are easily reachable from the highway or by boat directly from Playa Principal. This area is ideal for swimming and snorkeling.
- Continuing along the same road you will stumble across Playa Carrizalillo. It is actually a pair of two small beaches with corals and fish, heavenly for swimming, snorkeling and scuba diving. The beach is less touristy and a great place to catch a slice of real, local Oaxaqueñan life.
Regardless of the time you decide to stay and the beaches you check out, Oaxaca's Puerto Escondido is undoubtedly one of those perfect holiday destinations where you can kick back, relax and have fun.